Isabella Danielle, born at 24 weeks and 1 day, 1lb 11oz, 12.5in

Zachary Michael, born at 36 weeks, 5lb 13oz, 18.5in

Alexander Charles, FULL TERM, 7lb 1oz, 20in

Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy 4 week Birthday Baby Girl!!

The NNP Susan said it best today in rounds..."Bella's having a boring day." At which I threw my hands up in the air and said "Yes"! We like boring. As so many of my fellow preemie mom's have pointed out, BORING IS GOOD! We listened to rounds and there was not much to report, except that Ped Surgery suggested that she start feeds. However, with the ligation on Monday the NICU staff doesn't want to do full feeds. So they decided to do gut feeds again, which for Bella is 1mL every 6 hours. Before Monday they will have to stop those and then should be able to resume them after 2 or 3 days. The other exciting news in the world of great accomplishments of a preemie is that she had 4 passages out of her ostemy in 36 hours (most of the reason they felt comfortable with feeding her). This is awesome news as parents. Another great surprise came this evening, Colleen was back as her nurse! When she listened to bowel sounds she said they sounded very noticable and gurgly. I had to double check and say, "you're not lying to me to make me feel good are you?" She reassured me that they are really there. Isabella's tummy is still a little full in shape but soft to the touch. Ped Surgery is still pleased with the way everything looks. There are two little spots in the stitches that are slightly separating, but they are keeping a close eye on those and dressing them with special guaze. The real test will come in the morning when she has an x-ray (there wasn't one done this morning). As for her weight...she is at 2lb. 7oz. (or 1130 grams). It appears that she has lost the large majority of the fluid weight from her surgery.

But the most exciting event of the day was getting to hold her for the third time. I told Chris yesterday that I wanted to be able to hold Bella as her birth time passed. So we got up to the NICU right at 5, I pumped while Jen got Bella ready, and about 5:20pm Jen plopped my sweet pea on my chest. I held her as 6:24pm passed and Daddy and I wished her "happy 4 week birthday"! I love having her little body nuzzled on me, feeling her little arm lay across my collar bone. There is not another peaceful sensation like it in the world.

And yet another treat for the day, Lauren came to visit tonight. THANK YOU SO MUCH! (Once again, Lauren is Abby's mom from Abby's Story to the right.) It was great to meet her and she brought a phenomenal peanut butter sweet creation that melted in my mouth. Good thing I made sure to have a glass of milk with it.

Thank you to everyone that has not only helped pray for Bella but have also helped us pray for the other preemies out there. Cherish has seemed to have a better last couple of days although her status is very critical. Rhys is home being a typical newborn...hang in there Candice & Cody! The following verse seems so appropriate for all of you out there.

1 Thessalonians 1:2-3
Thanksgiving for the Thessalonians' Faith
2We always thank God for all of you, mentioning you in our prayers. 3We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

From Bella:
What a big day!! Here are pictures to show you all the things I did today.

First Grandma Nana gave me hugs and got to touch me for the first time!!











Mommy feeding me my first milk in over 3 weeks!!










Jen and Maggie moving me so that I can Kangaroo with Mommy!









Hi Mommy, I love Kangaroo care!!










Daddy, no more pictures!! (I'm 99.9% sure that's what she was thinking, this was photo #35!)











Lauren came to visit and brought a present, Preemie Power in the house!! Lauren came "representing" the Preemies.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was SO wonderful to finally meet you guys (as well as your parents, Chris)!! The two of you are just as sweet & charming in person!!However, Bella is even MORE exquisite ... WOW, what an itty-bitty beauty!!! She looks amazing and is definitely the princess of her pod! Thank you so much for sharing her with all of us!

Preemie Power! Holla!!

Shauna said...

Sounds like a great day! Hope you have many more to come!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bella! The little "booger" is really growing; it is great to hear her weight is increased so much over 4 weeks! Give her a kiss from me and I cannot wait to meet the little princess in the near future!

Much love and prayers,
Kim